This One-Pot Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta has chicken and sausage. In under one hour you’ll have a tasty and comforting meal made in one skillet.
There’s definitely something to be said about a hearty one-dish meal that can be made in under an hour. Better yet, when it contains glorious pasta. This guarantees the kids will be gobbling it up as well. Winner, winner!
Perhaps it’s spring fever and the need to fill each day with purpose, or perhaps it’s that the calendar is starting to fill up again. Either way, quick and simple meals are my go-to’s these days. Not wanting to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, I’m making all the easy skillet dinners lately.
This cajun chicken and sausage pasta is so comforting. With a rich sauce, and both chicken and sausage – it’s a hearty meal that can feed plenty. If this sounds like your kind of dinner, also check out my Baked Chicken Alfredo Ziti, similar yet notably different in more ways than the cooking method.
While this cajun chicken alfredo penne recipe uses one of my favourites types of pasta, you can easily swap it out to suit your favourite or which you have on hand. Bowties or rotini are another good pasta to use for this recipe as well. Yet choose one that ‘holds’ the sauce and flavours well.
What’s more, it looks and tastes like a gourmet meal, but it’s incredibly easy to make. Trust me, your entire family will love it!
One-Pot Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta Ingredients:
- Pasta: Pick your favourite when it comes to this pasta recipe. My suggestions would be penne, bowties, rotini, or fusilli.
- Chicken and sausage: This is a recipe that’ll use up leftovers really well. I chop my chicken for this dish, but feel free to use shredded. The type of sausage is up to you!
- Afredo: The sauce is Alfredo, made with broth and heavy cream. Of course there’s garlic and parmesan as well, making the best Alfredo.
- Seasoning: A lot of the seasoned flavour comes with the garlic alfredo sauce, but to put this recipe over the top is the addition of the cajun seasoning.
Reheating This Recipe for Leftovers:
You can most certainly enjoy this completely-made meal for leftovers, yet I would add a splash of milk and stir before reheating in the microwave. This ensures the pasta doesn’t dry out during reheating.
One-Pot Chicken Alfredo Pasta Tips:
- This is a great meal to make when you need to use up chicken and sausage leftovers. You can also use rotissere chicken as well. If you already have cooked chicken on hand, this recipe will be made even faster than under 1 hour.
- To lighten up this dinner, use half-and-half cream instead of heavy cream. Though keep in mind that in doing so, it will make the sauce thinner.
- If a lighter meal is of no concern to you, go ahead and add 1/3 cup of melted unsalted butter to the cream and broth. That will make your Alfredo even richer.
- If you’d like this recipe spicy, add some red pepper flakes. You can also add more garlic and cajun if desired as well.
More Recipes You’ll Love:
- This Lasagna Soup is soothing and perfect for a chilly day.
- Slow Cooker Baked Ziti is one of our favourites, and is ready to enjoy when you walk in that door!
- A favourite soup, in a hearty meal! Try this Baked French Onion Chicken
- Baked Feta Pasta with Chicken – there’s a reason this recipe is SO POPULAR!
- This Baked Bruschetta Chicken is a dump and bake meal!
- This Easy Focaccia Bread is the best bread ever.
- 1 lb chicken, cut into 1" pieces
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 14 oz smoked sausage, sliced into thin coins
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2.5 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups uncooked penne
- 1 ½ tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese, more to garnish if desired
- fresh parsley for garnish
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper
2. Using your largest skillet with a lid, add the olive oil and chicken. Brown the chicken over medium high heat.
3. Once chicken is cooked through, add the sausage and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes
4. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
5. Add into the skillet: uncooked pasta, chicken broth, heavy cream, and Cajun seasoning
6. Stir all ingredients together, and bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
7. Reduce the heat to low, and cook for 15-20 minutes with the lid on the skillet. Cook until pasta is al dente
8. Remove skillet from the heat and stir in shredded Parmesan cheese.
9. Garnish with parsley and additional Parmesan to taste.
- - If you already have cooked chicken on hand, this recipe will be made even faster to make.
- - To lighten up this dinner, use half-and-half cream instead of heavy cream. Though keep in mind that in doing so, it will make the sauce thinner.
- - If you'd like this recipe spicy, add some red pepper flakes. You can also add more garlic and cajun if desired as well.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 698Total Fat: 58gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 1148mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 25g