This One-Pot Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta has chicken and sausage. In under one hour and using one skillet, you’ll have a tasty and comforting meal.
There’s definitely something to be said about a hearty one-dish meal that can be made in under an hour. Better yet, when it contains glorious pasta.
This guarantees the kids and even the picky eaters will be gobbling it up as well. Winner, winner!
Perhaps it’s spring fever and the need to fill each day with purpose, or perhaps it’s that the calendar is starting to fill up again.
Either way, quick and simple meals are my go-to’s these days. Not wanting to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, I’m making all the easy skillet dinners lately.
Especially true on a busy weeknight when I need easy recipes.
This cajun chicken and sausage pasta is so comforting. With a rich sauce, and both chicken and sausage – it’s a hearty meal that can feed plenty.
It features a creamy homemade alfredo sauce as well.
If you love this cajun chicken alfredo pasta recipe and need more easy dinner recipes, also check out my Baked Chicken Alfredo Ziti. It’s another great creamy pasta recipe.
While this cajun chicken alfredo penne recipe uses one of my favourite pasta, you can easily swap the penne out to suit preference or which you have on hand.
Bowties or rotini are another good pasta to use for this recipe as well. Yet choose one that ‘holds’ the creamy alfredo sauce and the flavours well.
What’s more, it looks and tastes like a gourmet meal, but it’s incredibly easy to make. Trust me, your whole family will love it!
Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta Ingredients:
This cajun chicken pasta recipe contains simple ingredients with the full recipe and printable recipe card below.
- Pasta: Pick your favourite type of pasta when it comes to this recipe. My suggestions would be penne, bow ties, rotini, or fusilli.
- Chicken and sausage: This is a recipe that’ll use up leftovers really well. I chop my chicken for this dish, but feel free to use shredded. The type of sausage is up to you!
- Afredo: The sauce is Alfredo, made with broth and heavy cream. Of course there’s garlic and parmesan as well, making the best Alfredo.
- Seasoning: A lot of the seasoned flavour comes with the garlic alfredo sauce, but to put this recipe over the top is the addition of the cajun spice and seasoning. Feel free to use your favorite homemade cajun seasoning or an all in one from the grocery store.
How to Make Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta
First cut your boneless skinless chicken breasts into cubes and season chicken with salt and black pepper.
Using a large skillet or cast iron skillet with a lid, add the olive oil and chicken to the pan. Brown the chicken over medium high heat.
Once chicken is cooked through, add the andouille sausage and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
Add into the skillet: uncooked pasta, chicken broth, heavy cream, and cajun seasoning. Stir all ingredients together, and bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
Reduce the heat to low, and cook for 15-20 minutes with the lid on the skillet. Cook until pasta is al dente.
Remove skillet from the heat and stir in shredded parmesan cheese.
Garnish this easy cajun chicken alfredo recipe with parsley and additional Parmesan to taste.
Tips & Tricks
- This is a great meal to make when you need to use up chicken and sausage leftovers. You can also use rotisserie chicken as well. If you already have cooked chicken on hand, this recipe will be made even faster than under 1 hour.
- To lighten up this dinner, use half-and-half cream instead of heavy whipping cream. Though keep in mind that in doing so, it will make the sauce thinner.
- If a lighter meal is of no concern to you, go ahead and add 1/3 cup of melted unsalted butter to the cream and broth. That will make your Alfredo even richer.
- Want this recipe spicy? Add some red pepper flakes. You can also add more garlic, cajun seasoning or cayenne pepper if desired as well.
- Optional additional ingredients: bell red peppers, fresh garlic
What to Serve with Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta
This is a complete meal that can be enjoyed on its own. Yet if you want some side dishes, here are my suggestions:
- Garlic Bread
- Focaccia Bread
- Side Green Salad
- Crispy Parmesan Air Fryer Green Beans
- Roasted Green Beans
- Roasted Red Potatoes
- Lemon Pepper Asparagus
Storage: Place leftovers of this delicious pasta recipe in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to 5 days.
You can most certainly enjoy this completely-made meal for leftovers, yet I would add a splash of milk and stir before reheating in the microwave the next day. This ensures the pasta doesn’t dry out during reheating.
More Recipes You’ll Love:
- This Lasagna Soup is perfect for a chilly day.
- Slow Cooker Baked Ziti is one of our favourite easy dinner recipes.
- A favourite soup, in a hearty meal! Try this Baked French Onion Chicken
- Baked Feta Pasta with Chicken – there’s a reason this recipe is SO POPULAR!
- This Baked Bruschetta Chicken is a dump and bake meal!
- This Easy Focaccia Bread is the best bread ever.
- Mongolian Chicken – Asian takeout from home in 30 minutes!
- This One Pot Moroccan Chicken Stew is a heart and filling meal.
- 1 lb chicken, cut into 1" pieces
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 14 oz smoked sausage, sliced into thin coins
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2.5 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups uncooked penne
- 1 ½ tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese, more to garnish if desired
- fresh parsley for garnish
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper
2. Using your largest skillet with a lid, add the olive oil and chicken. Brown the chicken over medium high heat.
3. Once chicken is cooked through, add the sausage and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes
4. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
5. Add into the skillet: uncooked pasta, chicken broth, heavy cream, and Cajun seasoning
6. Stir all ingredients together, and bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
7. Reduce the heat to low, and cook for 15-20 minutes with the lid on the skillet. Cook until pasta is al dente
8. Remove skillet from the heat and stir in shredded Parmesan cheese.
9. Garnish with parsley and additional Parmesan to taste.
- - If you already have cooked chicken on hand, this recipe will be made even faster to make.
- - To lighten up this dinner, use half-and-half cream instead of heavy cream. Though keep in mind that in doing so, it will make the sauce thinner.
- - If you'd like this recipe spicy, add some red pepper flakes. You can also add more garlic and cajun if desired as well.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 698Total Fat: 58gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 1148mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 25g