This French Onion Chicken Bake is a quick and easy baked chicken recipe for fellow french onion soup lovers, complete with caramelized onions and a blend of two cheeses.
French Onion Chicken Bake
Those that love classic french onion soup, such as my Easy French Onion Soup recipe, will fall head over heals in love with this easy baked chicken dish.
I love simple chicken dinners, especially when it’s in casserole form like my Chicken Stuffing Bake.
Not only are they a true comfort food, but chicken casseroles like these fit so well into chaotic daily life.
One might think this would be the ideal recipe for fall, and it is. Yet I made this recently, on a cool rainy summer day. It was just the recipe to combat the gloominess.
This french onion smothered chicken recipe produces juicy and tender chicken breasts topped with caramelized onions.
Then glorious melted cheese is a blanket, both mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
It’s a taste that is really distinct and flavourful, it’s a favorite recipe. Best of all, you can serve this with pretty much any side dish like salad, Honey Glazed Carrots, and Oven Roasted Red Potatoes.
Since this is a perfect keto or low carb chicken dish, you can also serve these juicy chicken breasts alongside Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash. It’s a good choice.
Baked French Onion Chicken Ingredients:
Here are the simple ingredients to make this french onion chicken recipe. The full detailed instruction are below in the printable recipe card.
- Large Sweet Onions, or just yellow onions
- Black Pepper
- Low Sodium Beef Broth
- Balsamic Vinegar
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Mozzarella Cheese, or light mozzarella (try some gruyere cheese if you wish)
- Parmesan Cheese
How to Make French Onion Chicken Casserole:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Add butter to a large skillet on medium heat to medium-high heat.
Add sliced onions to melt butter, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Reduce the heat on the pan to medium and add in the garlic, pepper and thyme and cook for another minute.
Stir in the beef broth and the balsamic vinegar and cook until the onions have a jam-like consistency, about 10 minutes.
When onions are caramelized, place about 1/3 of the mixture into the bottom of the greased baking dish. Place your large chicken breast on top of the onions and sprinkle with a little bit of salt.
If you have a favourite seasoning, feel free to lightly season chicken breasts at this time.
Place remaining onion slices on top of the whole chicken breasts along with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
Bake for a cook time of 30 minutes or until the chicken has a safe internal temperature of 165 degrees and the top is golden brown.
Serve warm, the entire family will enjoy this chicken dinner with a french onion flavor!
How to Caramelize Onions:
This French Onion Baked Chicken recipe includes a topping of beautiful sweet caramelized onion.
The buttery caramelized onions really makes the recipe, and ordinary sliced onions will not be the same. Here’s how to make them great:
- Sauté Onions In Butter Until Transparent and Soft: This first step is essential. Once they are soft, transparent and start to brown a little, they are done.
- Add Beef Broth and Balsamic Vinegar: This not only adds flavour but also stops the onions from drying out while they cook. In a pinch you can use chicken broth yet I’d prefer using beef.
- Garlic and Spices: More flavour is infused while the onions take on a sweet, jam-like consistency. Make sure to scrape up any of those browned bits from the onions when you stir.
What to Serve with French Onion Chicken:
This easy dinner recipe has a taste that is really distinct and flavourful, the best french onion soup flavor.
To align with this keto chicken dish, try this Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash or cauliflower rice.
These Roasted Parmesan Green Beans are so good with this chicken recipe. Yet this is a great recipe to pair these Baking Powder Biscuits with. Of course this chicken dish is wonderful with white wine to drink.
To Store: Place chicken leftovers into an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 5 days. I like to reheat in a microwave-safe container, yet you can also bake in the oven to reheat completely.
I hope your entire family loves this recipe as much as we do. It’s become a favorite meal for those busy weeknights. It’s so good you’d never know it was a low carb recipe.
A comforting meal that is so good yet not heavy with carbs are the best recipes!
The best part aside from the incredible and classic flavors of french onion soup, is how good it is for you. The end result is sure to impress!
For More Chicken Recipes
- One Pan Orange Chicken
- Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken
- Baked Chicken Spaghetti
- Stuffed Tuscan Chicken
- Baked Chicken Marinara
- 4 Onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 2/3 cup Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 Chicken Breasts, boneless skinless
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesean Cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with cooking spray
- Add butter to a large skillet on med to high heat. Add in sliced onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat on the pan to medium and add in the garlic, pepper and thyme and cook for another minute
- Stir in the beef broth and the balsamic vinegar and cook until the onions have a jam-like consistency, about 10 minutes.
- When onions are caramelized, place about 1/3 of the mixture into the bottom of the greased baking dish.
- Place chicken on top of the onions and sprinkle with the salt.
- Place remaining onions on top of the chicken along with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken has a safe internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- - If your chicken breasts are thick, cut in half diagonally. Make sure all are about the same size.
- - Add in more of the spices if desired
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 492Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 165mgSodium: 960mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 49g