These Chicken Fajita Foil Packets with Rice made on the grill or campfire make dinner a breeze. This delicious foil pack recipe has seasoned chicken, rice, bell peppers, and red onion. There’s minimal cleanup with this all-in-one tin foil dinner.
I you thought one pan dinners were a great option for a quick and easy dinner, you need to try a foil pack meal. Just like our Grilled Shrimp Foil Packs, this one packs a punch when it comes to both flavour and convenience.
Foil packet dinners are meals cooked inside an envelope of tinfoil. They can be cooked in the oven, on a campfire or on the grill.
Plus with summer coming, I like to limit cooking in the house and take advantage of meals made on the BBQ. Rather than cooking meats plain, I like to sass them up with a fantastic flavour combination.
Plus, there’s nothing quite like the ease of cooking outdoors, with an added bonus of a decreased the amount of dishes to be washed. That’s one of the reasons why I always look forward to a camping trip.
These foil packets are quick to assemble and include quality strips of skinless boneless chicken, colourful bell peppers, red onions and even rice.
I love that this foil pack chicken fajitas recipe has everything required to make yummy fajitas. All you need is tortillas and your choice of toppings.
Chicken Fajita Foil Packets Ingredients
- Tin Foil
- Minute Rice
- Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts
- Bell Red Peppers
- Red Onion
- Olive Oil
- packet of Fajita Seasoning
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
How to Make Chicken Fajita Foil Packets with Rice
First, preheat the grill on Medium High. Get the outdoor cooking heat started by turning on the BBQ. Ideally you’ll want the thermometer to read 400 degrees (or medium heat) when placing the foil packets inside.
Combine the rice and water in a bowl with 3 tbsp of the seasoning mix. You’ll want this to sit for at least 5 minutes, so the water and spices soak into the rice.
Minute rice steams and cooks quickly in tinfoil. If you opt for another kind of rice, the soaking and cooking times will vary.
Prep the tin foil packets by tearing off 8 square sheets of foil. You want the pieces of aluminum foil big enough to have plenty of envelope room inside, like mini ovens. Oversized is better than too small.
Fill your packet. Divide the rice into 4 potions, and place onto 4 of the tin foil squares. Divide and pour the remaining liquid from the rice bowl onto each rice pile. You can use the same small bowl to combine the boneless chicken breasts cut into thin strips, pepper and onion.
Add in the olive oil and the remainder of the seasoning and toss to coat. Then, divide the fillings onto each of the 4 rice piles and squeeze fresh lime juice on each pile.
Fold your packets. Place the other 4 tin foil squares on top of each pile, folding all 4 edges over to seal tightly.
Cook – Place fajita chicken foil packets on a ready grill and cook for 7-9 minutes on each side. Time might depend on the grill, as each are different. If you are unsure, check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer.
Serve and Enjoy With Toppings
Just like your favorite chicken fajitas recipe, choose toppings based on preference. I suggest cheese, cilantro, guacamole, salsa, black beans, sour cream and/or hot sauce.
How to Serve Chicken Fajita Foil Packs
They are absolutely a complete meal on their own, enjoyed as is or inside flour tortillas.
You can also double the recipe so that you have some foil packet meal leftovers for the next day as well.
To cook these grilled fajitas over a campfire, just place the packets in hot coals for about 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked. These make one easy camping meal, you can even raedy the warm tortillas on the grill.
Storage and Leftovers:
These foil packet fajitas are easy to re-heat and enjoy later. Simply store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Foil Pack Fajitas Variations
Chicken fajita packets is a crowd pleaser because everyone can choose their own favorite fajita toppings. You can so easily make this a low carb meal as well.
Another great thing abut this recipe is that there is room for variety and preference to suit all tastes. So, you can add vegetables to some packs, or omit others. Feel free to substitute with green peppers for instance.
Each person could pick and choose the ingredients and/or spices for their own individual foil packets or level of spice.
Your summer will be made even better with these chicken foil packet meals. On your next camping trip made sure to make these campfire foil packs, for less work and more time to relax and enjoy.
If you need a side dish for this recipe, I suggest Mexican Macaroni Salad!
Other BBQ Recipes You’ll Love:
- BBQ Breakfast Scrambler
- Margarita Grilled Chicken
- Honey Sriracha Grilled Chicken Skewers
- Spicy Beef Skewers
- Sweet Chili Lime Grilled Chicken
- 1 1/2 cups minute rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 2-3 bell peppers, sliced into thin strips
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 packet fajita seasoning
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- tin foil, for wrapping
- sour cream
- hot sauce
- more limes, if required
- Preheat the grill on medium high
- Prep the tin foil pieces by tearing off 8 square pieces. You want them big enough to have plenty of envelope room inside, like mini ovens. Oversized is better than too small.
- Combine rice, water and 3 tbsp of the fajita seasoning in a small bowl, and set to the side for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, peppers and onion. Drizzle with oil and the remaining seasoning and toss to coat evenly.
- Divide the rice into 4 potions, and place onto 4 of the tin foil squares. Divide and pour the remaining liquid from the rice bowl onto each rice pile.
- Top each rice pile with the chicken and vegetable mixture, evenly into 4 portions. Squirt some lime juice from a wedge onto each pile.
- Place the other 4 tin foil squares on top of each pile, folding all 4 edges over to seal tightly into sealed ovens.
- Place foil packets on the ready grill (which should be about 400 degrees) and cook for 7-9 minutes on each side.
- Serve and enjoy with your choice of toppings from the list.
- Add or omit ingredients in each packet based on individual tastes.
- Offer many options for sides, to suit everyone's tastes as well.
- To cook over a campfire: place in hot coals for about 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 496Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 759mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 42g
Created by Tammi Roy
Tammi Roy is the founder of My Organized Chaos, a Canadian food and lifestyle blog. She lives in Alberta, Canada and is the mom of three beautiful teenage girls. Tammi’s passions are her family, creating and sharing delicious recipes, travelling and photography. Learn more about Tammi.