This Slow Cooker Butter Chicken is full of flavor, creamy, and delicious – an easy dinner recipe that’s entirely made in the crock pot.
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
In the past I’ve always made Butter Chicken using a jar of VH simmering sauce. We love the taste, so why change a good thing?
Yet one day I decided to try a homemade version. Because, I have more time these days to experiment more in the kitchen. Ugh, isolation, am I right? The verdict? I’m quite impressed with the results!
Of course I opt for a slow cooked version, the crockpot is my favourite kitchen appliance and I use it often. Some of my favourite recipes are made in the slow cooker. A couple examples are Slow Cooker Baked Ziti, Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken, and Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala.
This recipe is creamy with a hint of spice – I tend to hold back on the spices a bit with three kids in the home. Plus it’s easy to add more garam marsala and curry spices at the end, if you so wish.
They seem to building up a love for full-on flavor though. So I might update this recipe down the road with more of a robust spice and taste.
I used chicken breasts for this recipe, yet you can also use chicken thighs as well. Either will produce tender results.
How to Make Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
There isn’t any sautéing to this recipe before crock pot cooking. You simply add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, with the exception of the cream.
It wasn’t long before I could smell the blends of spices fill the home. I fully admit to sneaking a taste or three of this crock pot butter chicken near the end of the cooking time.
Top on some fluffy rice with some sides of naan bread and you have a wonderful meal that will be gobbled up in no time.
Confession: I love basmati rice, yet you can use any that you prefer most. I also cut the naan into wedges and bake on a cookie sheet. One tip is to sprinkle the tops of the naan with water before baking so they don’t dry out.
I meant to make enough with this recipe to have leftovers. Yet after we all devoured it, there wasn’t much left. I did have a small container left that I enjoyed for my lunch the next day.
Butter Chicken is one meal that have on our regular rotation. This Slow Cooker version is tasty and probably more simple than you’d assume. Just like our delicious recipe for Quick and Easy Chicken Curry.
If you’re looking for more great slow cooker recipes, may I also suggest:
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 3 tsp jarred minced garlic
- 1 tbsp curry paste
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp garam marsala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 can coconut milk, I used a 14.5oz can
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, for later
- 2-3 cups basmati rice
- Add all the ingredients except for the heavy cream, into the slow cooker. Stir to combine
- cook for either 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low
- Once there's 20 minutes left in the cooking, add the heavy cream and stir to combine. If it's on high, switch the slow cooker to slow setting. Cover.
- Cook the rice according to package directions while you also prepare the naan bread. I like to bake mine a little in the oven, for a bit of crispness and warmth.
- Serve butter chicken on the rice with the side of naan
- - This recipe isn't heavy in the spices, so if you want to add more for a more robust taste, please do so either in prep or after plated.
- - When baking the naan bread, I place naan on cookie sheet and sprinkle with a bit of water so it doesn't dry out in the oven. I bake at 425 for about 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 779Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 189mgSodium: 671mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 60g