This Easy Baked BBQ Chicken Legs Recipe is the perfect way to get barbecue chicken without using the grill. Using simple ingredients for the rub and your favorite bbq sauce, this chicken recipe is ideal for weeknight dinners to game day.
It’s delicious barbecue chicken that makes me long for summer days and grilling in the warm sun.
Yet we all know this isn’t feasible whenever the craving strikes. That’s why i love making this comfort food inside the home as well. No, really!
The secret to the best bbq chicken is in the rub! A perfect blend of spices and seasoning sure does give the best results!
Our simple recipe allows the rubbed flavours to infused into the chicken while baking. Bbq sauce is then added at the end to allow the skin to crisp up and thicken.
Delicious Oven BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
Our Baked chicken drumsticks are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Seasoned then baked to perfection, then smothered with tangy BBQ sauce.
Easily made in the oven, they can be made all year round and for any occasion.
These sticky bbq chicken drumsticks are great with almost any side dish. The whole family will be reaching for seconds.
Why You’ll Love Our BBQ Chicken
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Chicken Drumsticks – Use skin-on chicken drumsticks for this recipe, Yet you can also use chicken thighs, chicken breasts or chicken wings.
- Olive Oil – Substitute for vegetable oil or avocado oil if you wish.
- BBQ Sauce – Use your favorite kind of BBQ sauce for this recipe. I like sweet baby rays, myself. You can even made our Easy Keto BBQ Sauce, or your own homemade bbq sauce.
- Chicken Rub – Our rub consists of a blend of: all-purpose flour, smoked paprika, regular paprika, salt, ground black pepper, dried thyme, garlic powder, and onion powder.
How to Make BBQ Chicken Legs in the Oven
- Preheat the oven to 400 f. Then prepare a rimmed baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Set it aside.
- Mix the BBQ rub ingredients into a small bowl. Set this aside as well.
- Pat chicken dry using a paper towel. This step is important for the drumsticks to be crispy, so I wouldn’t skip it.
- Once patted dry, coat the chicken pieces with olive oil. Then, spread BBQ rub over the chicken pieces. Toss to coat. If needed, you can add more flour or spices. You’ll want evenly coated, dry chicken.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on the prepared baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Once the chicken is done (when checked with a meat thermometer), remove it from the oven and coat it with the BBQ sauce.
Then, bake it for 5 more minutes, so it bolds in flavor.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce and sides.
What to Serve with BBQ Chicken
One of the best things about this bbq chicken recipe is that it goes with almost any side dishes imaginable. It’s such a versatile main dish for a family meal, potluck or party.
I also like to serve classic bbq sides with bbq chicken. Either a simple salad, potato salad, or a pasta salad such as Mexican Macaroni Salad, Taco Pasta Salad, Dill Pickle Pasta Salad, and BLT Pasta Salad.
Of course vegetable sides are great too. This Air Fryer Corn on the Cob is so good and fits in well with an easy dinner!
Storage and Reheating
- Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. You can even enjoy the next day in a BBQ Chicken Salad.
- Reheat leftovers in the microwave. To keep the skin of the bbq drumsticks crisp, reheat in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
This varies on both the size of the drumsticks and the heat of the oven. I prefer baking at 400 degrees Fahrenheit so that the high heat crisps the skin without making it rubbery. The inside will stay juicy and tender without drying out. At 400, it will take 40-45 minutes for chicken legs to cook thoroughly. I suggest using an instant-read thermometer to check internal temperature for doneness.
Recipes will vary on when to apply the bbq sauce. Some suggest right at the beginning, at the start of baking. Others will suggest at the end. I prefer near the end, so that the sauce doesn’t caramelize and burn before the chicken has a chance to cook.
They aren’t as healthy as lean skinless chicken such as chicken breast. Yet this dark meat is healthier when compared to beef. Chicken in itself is typically lower in fat and high in protein, so I think it’s a great choice for meat.
More Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Legs
- Baked Chicken Leg Quarters with Vegetables
- Peri Peri Chicken
- Grilled Greek Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Potatoes
- One-Pot Moroccan Chicken Stew
- General Tso’s Chicken
- 2 lb chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Then prepare a large baking sheet with baking paper. Set it aside.
- Mix the BBQ rub ingredients in a small bowl. Set it aside.
- Pat chicken dry using paper towels. This step is important for the drumsticks to be crispy so I wouldn’t skip it.
- Once the chicken is dry, coat it with olive oil. Then, spread BBQ rub over the chicken pieces. Toss to coat. If needed, you can add more flour or spices. We’re looking for an evenly coated, dry chicken.
- Arrange chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet and bake them for 40-45 minutes. Once the chicken is well done, remove it from the oven and coat it with the BBQ sauce. Then, bake it for 5 more minutes, so it bolds in flavor.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Adding BBQ sauce in the ends removes some of the crispiness but adds lots of taste. If you prefer crispier chicken, avoid that step and use the BBQ sauce as a dipping sauce when serving.
- Good option when meal-prepping. You can store cooked chicken in the fridge for up to 3-5 days, and in the fridge for up to two months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 192mgSodium: 852mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 37g
Created by Tammi Roy
Tammi Roy is the founder of My Organized Chaos, a Canadian food and lifestyle blog. She lives in Alberta, Canada and is the mom of three beautiful teenage girls. Tammi’s passions are her family, creating and sharing delicious recipes, travelling and photography. Learn more about Tammi.