This Easy Cheesy Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole recipe is a savory and creamy side dish. Crowd pleasing and kid-approved, it’s a perfect side dish for family meals to holiday gatherings.
Sweet potato casserole comes in many forms. It can be mashed or sliced au gratin style. It can also be topped with marshmallows, brown sugar and/or pecans – and thus a pretty sweet dish.
‘Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Casserole’ is based a lot on preference and tradition.
Personally, I like very minimal sweet flavor in my side dishes during the holidays. Preferably in a salad or a side that only has small hints of sweetness.
Typical sweet potato casserole has never been my first choice of sides because I have found most to be just too sweet.
I’m more of a savory meal and then a sweet dessert type of person. Then you add in allergies and those that can’t have too much sugar … this sweet potato casserole recipe no nuts is a great option.
This cheesy mashed potato casserole recipe is also for those that want to liven up the usual mashed potato side dish.
This sweet potato casserole dish is unlike the classic sweet potato casserole, but highly enjoyed. It’s a great addition to the holiday table, or for those special sunday dinners.
Think of it as a mashed potato casserole, but with sweet potatoes instead! To better label it, it’s a creamy sweet potato casserole with melted cheese and crispy bacon as toppings. YUM!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- SAVORY – For those that want to save the sweet dishes for dessert.
- CREAMY – Sweet potatoes are softer and have more moisture than regular potatoes, making them PERFECT for that creamy whipped potato result.
- NUTRITIOUS – Sweet potatoes are loaded with Vitamin A, Potassium, antioxidants, and fibre.
- DELICIOUS – Saving the best for last, this cheese covered casserole will have everyone reaching for seconds.
- Total Time: 40 Minutes
- Serves: 6
Is this Casserole Sweet?
While this recipe has a subtle hint of sweetness, it’s mainly a savory dish.
Ingredients and Notes
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this easy recipe. As always, the full recipe is on the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
How to Make Cheesy Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into 1-inch cubes. Then, cook them in a steamer until fork-tender (see note below if you don’t have a steamer).
- Place cooked potatoes into a large bowl and mash them using a potato masher. Add heavy cream, cream cheese, butter, egg, salt, pepper, and mix until well combined.
- Transfer the mashed sweet potatoes mixture to an oven-safe baking dish. The one I used is 8×11 in size.
- Spread shredded mozzarella and Swiss cheese over the sweet potato mash.
- Bake this casserole in a preheated oven at 400F for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese melts and is slightly golden brown on top.
- In the meantime, cook bacon slices in a skillet until crispy if you haven’t already done so.
- Serve warm with crispy bacon on top. As an option, add some chopped green onions as well.
What Goes with Sweet Potato Casserole?
Side Dishes that Pair with Sweet Potato Casserole
This mashed sweet potato recipe goes so well with many of your favorite side dishes. Here are some suggestions on perfect pairings.
- Say Cheese: You can use another type of cheese if you’d like in this cheesy sweet potato mash. Suggestions are gruyere cheese or sharp cheddar cheese.
- Make it Loaded: If you’d like, add chopped green onions and a dollop of sour cream to the topping along with the crumbled bacon.
Store leftover sweet potato casserole in the fridge for up to 5 days. Make sure it’s wrapped well with plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or in an airtight container.
Reheat this in the oven, covering the tray in foil, at 350F until heated through.
Can Sweet Potato Casserole Be Made Ahead?
Yes, you can! The best way is to cook and mash the sweet potatoes, and then store them in the fridge until it’s time to make.
If you have all the ingredients prepped and ready to go, you’ll have this in the oven in less than 5 minutes.
- 3lb sweet potato
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 8 oz bacon
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into 1-inch cubes. Then, cook them in a steamer until fork-tender.
- Place cooked potatoes into a large bowl and mash them. Add heavy cream, cream cheese, butter, egg, salt, pepper, and mix until well combined.
- Transfer this mixture to an oven-safe ceramic or glass tray. The one I’ve used is 8’’x11’’.
- Spread shredded mozzarella and Swiss cheese over the mashed sweet potato.
- Bake this casserole in a preheated oven at 400F for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese melts and is slightly golden on top.
- In the meantime, cook bacon slices in a skillet until crispy.
- Serve warm with crispy bacon on top.
- If you don’t have a steamer, you could bake the sweet potatoes covered in foil paper until tender. Boiling them is also an option, but not my favorite one as they tend to lose flavor, and the result is more watery.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to five days. Reheat them in the oven, covering the tray in foil paper, at 350F.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 641Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 135mgSodium: 1322mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 8gSugar: 16gProtein: 28g
Created by Tammi Roy
Tammi Roy is the founder of My Organized Chaos, a Canadian food and lifestyle blog. She lives in Alberta, Canada and is the mom of three beautiful teenage girls. Tammi’s passions are her family, creating and sharing delicious recipes, travelling and photography. Learn more about Tammi.