This Easy Moist Cornbread Recipe is delicious and fluffy, and a perfect pairing so many main dishes. Baked to golden perfect, then top with warm butter and honey.
This Best Moist Cornbread Recipe is perfect with Chili Con Carne, Air Fryer Fried Chicken and many more dishes. Having a favorite moist cornbread recipe is just as handy as having a best baking powder biscuits recipe.
Full disclosure: I am not from the south, and we Canadians are certainly not experts when it comes to cornbread. It’s even next to impossible to find Jiffy Cornbread here.
With that, there’s a lot to be said when trying to recreate something that is loved yet not easily assessable. Sometimes the next best thing is the only option.
When I am craving the most authentic southern-style cornbread, this easy cornbread recipe is my go-to. I like to use this recipe to make my Southern Cornbread Stuffing.
Super simple to make and incredibly moist, this homemade cornbread recipe has a crispy bottom and golden crust.
Made for a crowd in a cast iron skillet, this moist cornbread recipe with buttermilk is easily adaptable for smaller servings or using a regular baking dish.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Total Time: 35 Minutes
- Serves: 20
Cornbread Ingredients and Notes
As always the full recipe for this best cornbread recipe is on the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
How to Make Easy Moist Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Stir together corn meal, flour, sugar, and salt into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, add oil and butter; then place in preheating oven to melt butter- about 3 to 4 minutes.
- While butter is melting, add eggs, buttermilk, and milk to the dry ingredients. Stir the cornmeal mixture with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.
- When butter has melted, carefully pour about half of the butter and oil into the cornmeal mixture. Stir until butter is completely incorporated.
Immediately pour the cornbread batter into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Skillet cornbread is done when golden brown with crispy edges and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Topping Ideas for Cornbread
While super moist cornbread recipe is great on it’s own, there are many toppings that make it even more delicious.
I like to add some butter and a drizzle of honey. Some like their cornbread topped with jelly or jam!
What Goes with perfect cornbread? Almost anything! It’s a great side dish and a yummy addition to so many meals.
TIP: Use this cornbread recipe to make our Mexican Cornbread Casserole for an easy weeknight dinner.
Changing up a traditional cornbread recipe is sometimes a nice little treat. Here are some ideas for different kinds of cornbread.
- Cheesy Cornbread – Add half a cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the mixture.
- Mexican Cornbread – Add chopped jalapenos or green chilies and shredded cheddar cheese to the wet ingredients to make a spicy cornbread.
- Garlic Lovers – Add minced garlic into the cornbread mixture for added flavor.
- Bacon Cornbread – crumbled cooked bacon added into the mixture adds protein and flavor.
FAQs about Cornbread
How to Store Cornbread
Store leftover cornbread at room temperature in an airtight container or wrapped well with plastic wrap, for up to three days.
To freeze, Double wrap cornbread in either plastic wrap or plastic wrap and a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
How to Reheat Cornbread
To reheat cornbread, microwave for 30 seconds. Or it can be reheated in the oven by placing in an oven safe dish and warming at 200 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- 3 cups self-rising corn meal
- ¾ cup self-rising flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup whole or 2 % milk
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Stir together corn meal, flour, sugar, and salt, set aside.
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, add oil and butter; then place in preheating oven to melt butter- about 3 to 4 minutes.
- While butter is melting, add eggs, buttermilk, and milk to cornmeal mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
- When butter has melted, carefully pour about half of the butter and oil into the cornmeal mixture. Stir until butter is completely incorporated. Immediately pour the rest of the mixture into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cornbread can be baked in a 9x13 pan if not using cast iron.
- If you half the recipe, you can use a 8x8 baking dish.
- Leftovers can be stored at room temperature in an air-tight container for up to three days.
- To reheat cornbread, microwave for 30 seconds. Or it can be reheated in the oven by placing in an oven safe dish and warming at 200 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 455mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 4g
Created by Tammi Roy
Tammi Roy is the founder of My Organized Chaos, a Canadian food and lifestyle blog. She lives in Alberta, Canada and is the mom of three beautiful teenage girls. Tammi’s passions are her family, creating and sharing delicious recipes, travelling and photography. Learn more about Tammi.