If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy meal that will transport your taste buds to the Mediterranean, then look no further than this Grilled Greek Chicken recipe. The best greek chicken marinade ever, with an enticing blend of zesty lemon juice and refreshing herbs. This grilled chicken recipe will undoubtedly become a family favorite.
Whether it’s for a busy weeknight dinner or an outdoor barbecue with friends, this Greek Grilled Chicken recipe will allow you to embark on a culinary journey through the Mediterranean – from the comforts of home.
This greek chicken recipe enhances the dinner table experience with a flavourful dish that is also healthy and filled with nutrients. Grilled chicken will not be boring with this easy recipe!
You have the options to serve with sides for a Greek dinner; or use this greek chicken marinade for gyros, wraps, skewers and more.
The Best Greek Chicken Marinade
This recipes features the best Greek marinade, a simple yet outstanding blend of fresh herbs, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and Greek yogurt.
The resulting taste of the chicken pieces infused with this greek Chicken Marinade is salty and tangy. Plus the yogurt helps to keep the chicken moist and tender as it grills.
You’ll want to make this juicy and delicious chicken time and again, and not just during grilling season. This easy greek chicken marinade can be used all year long!
Ingredients and Notes
This chicken marinade recipe takes only a few basic ingredients, with plenty of options for additions and substitutions.
Chicken – I use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, yet you can also use other chicken pieces as mentioned in the FAQ below.
Greek Chicken Marinade – The marinade ingredients includes extra virgin olive oil, Greek yogurt, fresh garlic, lemon juice, oregano, honey, chopped fresh parsley, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
You do have the options of using fresh oregano or dried oregano, and same with dried parsley as well. Fresh is best, but sometimes convenience wins out.
How to Make Grilled Greek Chicken
While the actual recipe instructions in the recipe card seem long at a glance, I ensure you this is a simple and easy recipe to make. Summed up:
Step 1 – Make the Marinade for Greek Chicken
Step 2 – Grill the Chicken
What to Serve with Grilled Greek Chicken
Do you need side dish ideas when serving greek chicken? A good choice is to pair with your favorite Mediterranean-inspired side dishes to make a delicious, flavorful meal.
Here are some tasty sides that will complement your meal perfectly:
A refreshing Greek salad is the perfect side dish for grilled Greek chicken. Made with crisp greens, fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, feta cheese, olives, and a tangy vinaigrette dressing- this classic Mediterranean salad is light yet satisfying.
Tzatziki sauce pairs perfectly with grilled Greek chicken! This creamy dip made from yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon juice and dill adds a cool contrast to the spiciness of the chicken.
Grilled vegetables like zucchini or eggplant drizzled in olive oil and sprinkled with salt & pepper makes an excellent accompaniment to your dish!
Roasted potatoes are always a favorite side dish! Toss them with olive oil and seasonings (we recommend garlic powder or paprika) before roasting them in the oven until they’re crispy on the outside but soft on the inside. We have a great Roasted Red Potatoes you can try.
Rice pilaf adds texture to your dish while soaking up all those delicious flavors from the grilled chicken! Try adding some chopped parsley or mint for added freshness.
Hummus paired with warm pita bread is a popular choice with greek chicken.
One of the best things about Greek Chicken is that it’s a staple for other main dish ideas. Greek chicken leftovers make the best next day meals.
In fact, the leftover options are so good that you might want to make a double batch for another meal during the week.
Here are just a few leftover ideas:
Storage and Reheating
To Store: Store leftover chicken in an airtight container or covered well with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Can you freeze leftover greek chicken? Yes, you absolutely can freeze bbq greek chicken. If you want to keep leftovers longer, store them in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to three months.
To Reheat: Reheat the chicken either in the microwave or on a pan over medium-low heat until it is heated through before serving.
Grilled Greek Chicken FAQs
More Chicken Recipes
- Sweet Chili Lime Grilled Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Quick and Easy Chicken Curry
- Margarita Grilled Chicken
- Baked BBQ Chicken Legs
- Peri Peri Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup Greek plain yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 chicken breasts
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the olive oil, Greek yogurt, minced garlic, lemon juice, oregano, honey, chopped fresh parsley, salt, and freshly ground black pepper, and mix them well to create the marinade.
- Take your chicken breasts and place them in a large zip-top plastic bag.. Pour the prepared marinade over the chicken, making sure that each breast is well-coated with the mixture.
- Seal the plastic bag, pressing out any extra air. Place it in the refrigerator, and let the chicken marinate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld and the aroma to deepen. For best results, marinate the chicken for up to 8 hours.
- Once your chicken is marinated, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. While the grill is heating up, remove the chicken from the marinade, shaking off any excess liquid. Discard the remaining marinade.
- Grease your grill grates lightly with vegetable oil, using a paper towel, to prevent the chicken from sticking. Place the marinated chicken breasts on the grill, and cook for 5-7 minutes per side, until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C), and the chicken juices run clear.
- As soon as the chicken is grilled to perfection, transfer it to a clean plate and cover it with aluminum foil. Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes to redistribute the juices and ensure tenderness.
- Garnish with an additional sprinkle of fresh parsley and/or lemon wedges, if desired.
- Serve with Mediterranean-inspired sides like Tzatziki sauce, rice, Greek salad, vegetables, or warm pita bread.
- Place leftovers in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 632mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 38g
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.
It’s grilling season, and chicken is the perfect choice to serve to your family and friends. Canadian Chicken Farmers wants Canadians to enjoy only the best when it comes to chicken.
Choosing Canadian chicken ensures the best in both animal care and food safety standards. Plus it supports local farmers and our economy as a whole.
So, how do you know you’re using Canadian chicken? Well, it’s simple!
When shopping, look for the “Raised by a Canadian Farmer” logo, as shown above. If you don’t see it at your local grocer, simply request they bring it in for their customers.
Created by Tammi Roy
Tammi Roy is the founder of My Organized Chaos, a Canadian food and lifestyle blog. She lives in Alberta, Canada and is the mom of three beautiful teenage girls. Tammi’s passions are her family, creating and sharing delicious recipes, travelling and photography. Learn more about Tammi.