This Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Cake has layers of strawberry ice cream, whipped topping and a cookie crumble. Easy to make and completely delicious!
Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Cake
Ice cream cakes don’t have to be store bought. I think I proved that with my Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich Cake.
Well, let me introduce you to my new summertime favourite!
This easy ice cream cake is fruity and creamy, with a cookie crunch. Not only is it full of taste, but its ridiculously simple to make.
This strawberry shortcake ice cream cake has layers that consist of:
- Crunchy golden oreo cookie crust
- Creamy strawberry ice cream
- Whipped Cream
- A simple yummy strawberry sauce
For the Cookie Crust Layer:
This simple cookie crust consists of crushed golden oreo cookies and melted butter.
It’s a simple base to the cake, but also is great for sprinkling on the top for a decorative finish. So make sure to save a small handful until the very end.
For the Creamy Strawberry Ice Cream Layer:
For this layer you just need a 2L container of strawberry ice cream. You can use any brand, yet there’s also the option of Chapman’s Premium Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream.
For the Whipped Cream Layer
One 1L tub of Cool Whip Original Frozen Whipped Topping will do for this entire recipe. Not only is whipped cream in the layers, but it’s a nice decoration for the top of the cake.
I always say life is better when there’s whipped cream. So, don’t be shy to do what I did and use the tub for the layers and the spray can of whipped topping for the decorative finish.
For the Simple Strawberry Sauce Layer:
Making fresh strawberry sauce is really simple. You just need frozen strawberries, granulated sugar, corn starch, vanilla extract and water.
This is the only part of the recipe that requires some cooking. Make this sauce ahead of time, so that it has time to cool to room temperature before assembling the cake.
The best part about this strawberry sauce is that it’s so versatile. So, you can save the remaining for other recipes. We love to use this sauce on top of pancakes! Just put the remaining in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This strawberry ice cream cake with an Oreo crust just screams summer! It’s not only a very pretty cake, but one that is simple to make. Enjoy!
Other Summer Desserts to try:
- Strawberry Jello Poke Cake
- Blueberry Shortcake
- Strawberries and Cream Cake
- Orange Creamsicle Cheesecake Mousse
- Strawberry Banana Mousse
- Lemon Icebox Pie
- - 4 cups Frozen Strawberries
- - 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- - 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- - 1/2 cup Water, divided
- - 2 tbsp Corn Starch
ICE CREAM CAKE
- - 2L Strawberry Ice Cream
- - 3 cups Golden Oreo Cookies, crushed
- - 1/2 cup Butter, melted
- - 1L tub Cool Whip Whipped Topping
- - 3 Golden Oreos, crushed
- - Whipped Topping
- - Fresh Strawberries as garnish, optional
- - Make the strawberry sauce first, either the day before or a couple hours before you want to assemble the cake.
- - In saucepan, add the frozen strawberries, sugar, vanilla extract and 1/4 cup of water. Bring to a simmer and cook until berries have softened, stirring occasionally.
- - Whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup water and the cornstarch, then add it to the strawberry puree. Stir occasionally and allow to thicken.
- - When thickened, remove from the stove and pour into a small bowl. Set aside to cool, to at least room temperature.
ASSEMBLE THE CAKE
- - Remove the ice cream out of the freezer 30 minutes before making the cake, allowing it to soften
- - In a bowl, combine the crushed Oreos and melted butter
- - Using a springform pan, remove the round bottom from the sides. Place a piece of parchment paper on the circled bottom and clamp the bottom back onto the sides. If parchment paper is poking out the sides of the pan, you can cut the reserved off.
- - Place half the cookie mixture onto the parchment paper and press down to cover entire bottom.
- - Top the cookie crumble with half the softened ice cream.
- - Add a layer of Cool Whip to the ice cream, followed by a layer of drizzled strawberry sauce
- - Repeat cookie, ice cream, Cool Whip and Sauce layers once more.
- - End the layers with a decorative drizzle of strawberry sauce or cookie crumble if you have some left.
- - When finished, place cake in the freezer for at least 3 hours to harden. Remove from the freezer 20 minutes before cutting into it.
- - If adding fresh strawberries and decorative whipped topping, do this after it's hardened and just before serving.
- You can use any vanilla cookies, yet I like the Golden Oreos for this recipe
- You can use store bought strawberry sauce, found in the ice cream toppings aisle, yet homemade tastes way better
- Any strawberry ice cream will do for this recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 694Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 333mgCarbohydrates: 94gFiber: 3gSugar: 45gProtein: 6g