Rhubarb Streusel Muffins are sweet and tart with a cake-like texture. They are the perfect breakfast or snack, and such a quick easy recipe.
Rhubarb Streusel Muffins
Rhubarb brings me back to my childhood. Myself and a friend used to sit in the tall grass eating fresh stalks of rhubarb dipped in sugar. These days, I much prefer the cooked rhubarb recipes!
Rhubarb is often used in desserts and bread recipes, the tartness pairs so well with sugar to make a great sweet and sour taste.
Only recently I learned that the leaves of a rhubarb plant are toxic! Were you aware of the poisonous part of the rhubarb plant? Rest assured though, the stalks are perfectly safe and a delicious addition to a muffin recipe!
This muffin itself is moist and cake-like, perfectly tart and sweet. While the streusel is totally optional for this recipe, it’s a great addition. With a hint of cinnamon, it gives that crunch topping that finishes the muffin off well. Apple Cinnamon
Best of all, rhubarb is in season! This plant is so hardy and produces so much, many are literally giving it away right now. It’s the best time to make these yummy muffins.
Rhubarb Streusel Muffin Ingredients:
- Rhubarb, chopped
- Baking Powder
- Vegetable Oil
- Ground Cinnamon
How To Make Rhubarb Streusel Muffins:
Depending on how quickly you can get out the ingredients and chop some clean fresh rhubarb, you can get these muffins in the oven in about 10 minutes.
You simply mix the dry ingredients with the rhubarb, and add in the already mixed wet ingredients.
In a flash you’ll have the streusel topping mixed and ready to add on top of the mixture that was poured into cupcake liners, in a muffin tin.
Baking takes just 18-20 minutes, and you don’t have to wait until these muffins fully cool before enjoying. I find they are best served a little warm from the oven.
Best of all they both store and freeze well. They are the best muffins to have for a snack or breakfast.
How to Store Muffins:
Of course these will taste best the day you made them, yet they can be stored away for later once they’ve completely cooled. Store in an airtight container for 2 days at room temperature, or in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Yet you can also freeze them and take out as needed. Simply wrap individually in plastic, or place in a freezer safe container and freeze up to 3 months.
Let them thaw at room temperature before eating, or once thawed, warm them up for 20 seconds in the microwave to get that just-out-of-the-oven taste.
More Muffin Recipes You’ll Love!
- Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Muffins
- Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins
- Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
- Banana Muffins
- - 1.5 cup rhubarb, chopped
- - 2 cups all purpose flour
- - 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- - 2 tsp baking powder
- - 1/4 tsp salt
- - 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- - 1 cup milk
- - 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- - 1 tsp vanilla
- - 1 egg
- - 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- - 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- - 1/2 tsp baking powder
- - 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- - 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper liners
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add in the rhubarb and toss to coat well.
- In a large measuring cup, first add the milk, then the vegetable oil and end with the vanilla and egg. Whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix just to combine well, yet do not over mix the batter
- Divide the batter evenly into the 12 paper liners, about 2/3 of the way full
- In a small bowl, mix the ingredients for the streusel and then divide evenly on top of the batter already in the paper liners.
- Bake for 18-20 or until the streusel topping starts to brown. Text that the insides of the muffins are cooked using a toothpick and remove from oven if toothpick comes out clean.
- - Streusel topping is optional
- - Store in an airtight container for 2 days, or 3-4 in the fridge. Also freeze well for later
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 208mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g