This Tomato Vegetable Hamburger Soup is simple quick soup that is loaded with vegetables, beef, tomatoes and potatoes. This comfort food can be made ahead of time, freezes well and reheats easily.
Easy Hamburger Soup
This delicious best Hamburger Soup recipe is great whens served with a side fresh salad, bread or these Easy Baking Powder Biscuits. If you love a winter warm up in a bowl, also check out my Creamy Chicken Stew!
I really love a good hearty soup as a weeknight meal. While it’s perfect for those cold winter nights, I also make them on cool rainy summer days. Loaded with all the comfort food, it’s the ideal warm up on a chilly day.
There are so many variations on Hamburger Vegetable Soup. It also goes by many names such as easy hamburger soup, or poor man’s soup. Yet whatever you call this favorite soup recipe, it’s simply soothing in every bite.
It’s a classic recipe that I have been making for decades, and one worthy of the highlight on this space. I also love this soup recipe because I usually have all ingredients on hand. Just like this simple Beef Stroganoff recipe.
This soup recipes uses up fridge, pantry and freezer staple foods that can be easily forgotten. The whole family dives right in whenever I make this delicious soup.
How to Make Hamburger Soup
The base for this soup is a rich tomato broth thanks to diced tomatoes, tomato paste and a can of tomato soup. The combination is so creamy!
Ingredients to make Easy Hamburger Soup:
- lean ground beef
- cloves garlic
- russet potatoes or yukon gold potatoes
- low sodium beef broth
- tomato paste
- diced tomatoes
- tomato soup or tomato sauce
- frozen mixed vegetables
- Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
To Make: I start by browning ground beef with the onion and garlic. Right off the bat the smell is heaven from just these three ingredients.
In a large pot over medium heat, spray with non-stick cooking spray and start browning the beef over medium-high heat. When half way cooked, add in the onion, garlic and salt. Continue to cook until the meat is no longer pink.
Add in the potatoes, broth, tomato paste, diced tomatoes and tomato soup. Cook for 1 minute then add in the frozen vegetables, Worcestershire sauce and spices. You can also use Italian seasoning as well.
Stir to combine then bring this easy hamburger soup recipe to a boil. Once it’s boiling, reduce heat to medium low, cover with a lid and cook for 40 minutes or until the potatoes have softened. Serve warm with crusty bread, and enjoy.
Tips to Make the Best Hamburger Soup:
You’ll notice that I don’t have drain the ground beef after cooking in my steps. This is because I usually use extra lean ground beef, so there isn’t much fat. Yet if you don’t use extra lean, feel free to drain the fat and excess grease after cooking.
You can also use your own substitutions in this hamburger vegetable soup recipe. You can use other meat like ground turkey or ground chicken if you wish. Another great option is to use fresh vegetables instead of frozen veggies, or add in some green beans too.
Along with the beef and tomato broth base, this great recipe is filled with mixed vegetables and a blend of tasty spices. It’s simple yet one of the best soups out there, a total comforting soup.
With a cook time of under 1 hour, this is a hearty soup recipe that is made so quickly. An easy dinner made any night of the week.
Can I make this in a Slow Cooker?
While I usually make this easy Vegetable Hamburger Soup on the stove top, because it’s a quick and easy soup, it can easily be made in the crock pot as well.
To make Slow Cooker Hamburger Soup, do your browning step in a pan and transfer it into the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients. Cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
Make sure your potatoes aren’t cut too small though, or they might be too mushy after so many hours of cooking.
Hamburger Soup Leftovers
To store leftover soup, place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Reheat in a microwave safe container.
Can I Freeze Hamburger Soup?
Absolutely! This hearty hamburger soup recipe freezes so well, I actually used to do so often and take small potions for work with me for lunch.
Either freeze cooked and cooled soup into freezer bags or in an airtight container. Then take out of the freezer the night before and allow to defrost before reheating.
This hamburger vegetable soup recipe is hearty enough to stand on its own as a meal, yet I like to pair it with garlic toast or a slice of fresh bread too. You can also make a small side salad to go along with it and really load up on those veggies!
More Easy Soup Recipes:
- Tuscan Barley Soup – one hearty soup recipe
- Chicken Taco Soup – the flavours are amazing
- Easy Wonton Soup – no need to order takeout when it’s this easy to make
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup – simply the best in flavour
- Thai Pumpkin and Coconut Soup
- Three Cheese Broccoli Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Creamy Potato Soup
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 400ml low sodium beef broth
- 1 156ml can tomato paste
- 1 796ml can diced tomatoes
- 1 284ml can tomato soup
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 tsp pepper
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, spray with non-stick cooking spray and start browning the beef. When half way cooked, add in the onion, garlic and salt. Continue to cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add in the potatoes, broth, tomato paste, diced tomatoes and tomato soup. Cook for 1 minute then add in the frozen vegetables, worcestershire sauce and spices.
- Stir to combine then bring the soup to a boil. Once it's boiling, reduce heat to medium low, cover with a lid and cook for 40 minutes or until the potatoes have softened.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
- - Cut your potatoes to size of when you'd like this soup to be done. Too large of pieces and it will result in longer cooking times.
- - If freezing, allow to cool after cooking and separate into freezer bags or small airtight containers.
- - Allow to defrost before reheating in the microwave or on the stovetop
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 667mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 22g