Tuscan Barley Soup
This delicious and healthy Tuscan Barley Soup is a whole meal in itself. Full of delicious vegetables and low-fat turkey sausages, this soup is very easy to make and ready within 60 minutes.
Also check out my Stuffed Tuscan Chicken and this Creamy Garlic Tuscan Shrimp recipes!
I love whole meal soups! If you’re like me, I suggest you have a look at my One Pot Lasagna Soup, and this Tomato Vegetable Hamburger Soup. They are both so very delicious.
There’s nothing is more comforting than having a large bowl of a hearty, chunky soup.
Then having a second one, because you decided you’re going to only soup for dinner. I do this often with my Loaded Baked Potato Soup.
TUSCAN BARLEY SOUP WITH TURKEY SAUSAGES
Most healthy soup won’t do the trick to fill you up. Yet I promise this one won’t leave you hungry.
Filled with satisfying, slow-cooked vegetables and roasted turkey sausages, this whole meal soup is all you’ll need for dinner or lunch. It’s a very hearty soup recipe.
This recipe is an adaptation of a recipe from Giada De Laurentiis. I gave it my own twist by making it easier to make, with simpler ingredients.
Here are the simple ingredients needed to make this soup recipe. It may seem like a lot, but it’s because it’s loaded with vegetables. As always the full printable recipe is at the end of the post.
- chicken stock or chicken broth
- olive oil
- celery stalks
- green beans
- baby spinach leaves or chopped kale
- turkey sausage
- pearl barley (or white rice for the paleo/gluten-free option)
- Italian seasoning (or dried basil/oregano)
- bay leaf
- fresh parsley or fresh basil
How to Make this Soup
The first thing to do is chop all the vegetables as shown in the recipe. Then heat the olive oil in a large pot on the stove. A 5-quart saucepan will do for this recipe.
Slice turkey sausages and roast the slices on both sides over medium heat, until thoroughly cooked. This will take about bout 8-10 minutes.
You can remove the skin, although this is completely optional. When done, remove the cooked sausage from the pot and set aside.
In the same pot, roast barley (or white rice) for 4-5 minutes over medium-high heat, constantly stirring with a wooden spoon.
Then add onion, celery, cabbage, carrots and allow to sweat for 5 minutes. For best results, constantly stir.
Then add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until barley (or white rice) is tender. Taste and add salt and black pepper as needed.
Serve this soup with fresh chopped parsley on top. You can also have a slice of crusty bread or garlic bread on the side. It’s great with some parmesan cheese on top too.
This is a great stand alone meal, or you can have a side salad too.
Place soup leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
FAQs about Tuscan Soup
Did you like my version of this delicious soup recipe? Please tell me in the comments section below!
And then check out my Easy French Onion Soup. It’s simple, classic and perfect for those cold winter nights.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Three Cheese Broccoli Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Tomato Vegetable Hamburger Soup
TUSCAN BARLEY SOUP WITH TURKEY SAUSAGES
Delicious and healthy Tuscan Barley Soup - full of vegetables and low-fat turkey sausages, it's very easy to make and ready within 60 minutes.
- 10 cups chicken stock (or broth)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch long pieces
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves or chopped kale
- 1 cup turkey sausages, cooked and sliced
- 1 cup pearl barley (white rice for the paleo/gluten-free option)
- 1 tbsp dried Italian spice mix (or dried basil/oregano)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (for topping)
- Heat 2 tbsp olive in a large pot.
- Slice turkey sausages and roast the slices on both sides over medium heat, until thoroughly cooked. About 8-10 minutes. You can remove the skin, although this is completely optional. Set aside.
- In the same pot, roast barley (or white rice) for 4-5 minutes over medium heat, constantly stirring
- Add onion, celery, cabbage, carrots and allow to sweat for 5 minutes, constantly stirring
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until barley (or white rice) is tender.
- Serve with fresh chopped parsley on top.
- You can use vegetable stock in place of chicken stock
- For the sausage you can use: spicy turkey sausage links or italian sausage.
- Add white bean or cannellini beans if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 547Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 1078mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 11gSugar: 15gProtein: 27g
such a hearty and flavorful soup!
I love barley soup this sounds like a great recipe! Thank you for sharing!
this looks like a fantastic recipe! comfort food! (love soup recipes that include shredded cabbage)!
This hearty soup is ideal for the cooler weather!
Your soup recipe not only sounds delicious but from your picture it looks delicious. I love the ingredients you used especially the sausage and I’ll be adding it to my pinterest page.
This is a wonderful looking soup! Full of goodness.
This sounds like a great hearty soup – very much what I crave when the weather starts (rapidly) cooling down!
Great looking soup to enjoy during Winter months.
yum looks yummy and healthy too
This is a complete filling meal, when served with some crusty bread. Thanks for the idea.
This looks and sounds so good. I think I need to try it. Maybe without the green beans tho.
This looks delicious!
A good soup to make today
This sounds amazing! I love soups in the cold weather!
This soup looks so tasty and filling.
Yum, looks so good. This is the perfect time of year for a bowl of homemade soup!
I would really enjoy this soup very much!!
Thank you! It looks exactly like what I’ve been looking for – I have almost all the ingredients and yet never used them in this combination. Hope my kids like it.
This looks so delicious. I love warm, hearty food.
This soup sounds so delicious. Definitely want to try it! I love soup season.
looks and sounds very tasty.
This sounds so comforting!
looks like a hearty and delicious soup for a cold winter night
This soup looks delicious
Tuscan Barley soup with turkey sausage I must say it one COMFORT home-cooked soup. Nothing like home-made soup and especially for the winter months. I make home-made soup at least 2x a week and can never get enough of it. We even eat it for breakfast..so hot & full of good nutrition
I love barley in soups. Your version sounds so hearty!
I think my husband would like this – he frequently asks me to make soup with barley. Thanks for the recipe.
I’ll be honest. I don’t cook with barley. I do know I should and I am not sure why I don’t. Even today I got out my frozen turkey stock I made from the Thanksgiving turkey and made homemade soup for everyone to feed on during this lazy Sunday at home. I’m kinda inspired by this recipe. Thanks Tammy.