During the holidays and weekends I reach for an easy breakfast casserole recipe, this Cheesy Ham Breakfast Casserole is a one-dish, make-ahead meal!
Cheesy Ham Breakfast Casserole
I love the convenience of a breakfast casserole recipe like my Egg and Vegetable Casserole. They are hearty one-dish meals that can be made ahead of time, and bakes while I’m tending to other things.
For another yummy breakfast casserole idea, try my Ham and Cheese Brunch Strata!
Even this Spinach and Broccoli Quiche is super easy to make for brunch. And so healthy as well!
The winter months are synonymous with the most comforting of foods, and this also includes breakfasts and bunches.
Yet, add the holidays into the mix – and you need to arm yourself with meals that could be made ahead of time, especially those beloved one-dish meals.
For instance, Christmas morning is super chaotic. The opening of presents, cleaning up the aftermath and perhaps the early start on dinner making really prevents anyone from spending a lot of time making a brunch for the family.
This Cheesy Ham Breakfast Casserole recipe is a favourite in our house, the combined ingredients make for one delicious breakfast bake.
Plus, you could omit the onions or swap the ham for sausage if you wish – it’s such a versatile recipe!
Baking time to make this Cheesy Ham Breakfast Casserole can vary a bit, depending on how deep your dish is.
It’ll cook faster when using short casserole dishes where the mixture isn’t so thick.
You will know this dish is done by taking some mixture from the bottom and finding scrambled eggs. That’s right, not only does the egg mixture nicely coat all the ingredients, it settles somewhat so that you have an egg layer at the bottom too!
For my Cheesy Ham Breakfast Casserole, I use Liquid Whole Eggs just for convenience.
For another variation, try our Ham and Potato Casserole with Real Potatoes.
More Breakfast Recipes:
- 2 cups Ham, diced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/4 cup Liquid Eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 bag frozen diced hash browns, thawed
- 2 cups marble cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- green onions, chopped, if desired
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add ham to a medium pan and sauté over medium-high heat for a few minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the white onion and red pepper to the saute pan, and saute for about 4 minutes until cooked. Pour the vegetable mixture into the bowl with the ham. Add the hash browns and cheese to the mixing bowl as well, reserving a little bit of the cheese for topping.
- Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the liquid eggs with the milk and black pepper - then add it to the has brown mixture and stir.
- Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish, and top with the remaining cheese and some green onions.
- Cover the dish with its lid or aluminum foil, and bake for 35-45 minutes, again depending on size of casserole dish and how thick the mixture is. Test doneness by scooping out a bit of the egg that settles on the bottom of the dish. If it resembles scrambled eggs - it's done.
- Remove lid or aluminum foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes to crisp up the top a bit.
- You can add a few more chopped green onions to the top if you wish too.
- Serve warm an enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Saturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 195mgSodium: 685mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 21g
Created by Tammi Roy
Tammi Roy is the founder of My Organized Chaos, a Canadian food and lifestyle blog. She lives in Alberta, Canada and is the mom of three beautiful teenage girls. Tammi’s passions are her family, creating and sharing delicious recipes, travelling and photography. Learn more about Tammi.