This Buffalo Chicken soup recipe is cheesy and creamy, and a delicious and different way to enjoy your favorite hot wing flavors, right down to the vegetable sides.
While I’m not particularly fond of the cooler weather, I am a big fan of the comfort meals that this season brings.
This time of year is also soup season, another perk to a cold winter day. If you need a new hearty meal to cozy up with, or one to enjoy during the big game – this great recipe is for you.
You can’t argue that the buffalo flavor is one of the best tastes of all time. There’s a reason why buffalo favoured foods are a fan favorite, and always a hit at the party.
This creamy buffalo chicken soup recipe combines all those flavours that you love from both.
I took the chicken and buffalo sauce from buffalo wings, along with their accompanying veggies of celery and carrots with ranch dressing (which balances the heat).
I then combined our buffalo chicken dip recipe with its rich cream cheese, green onions, and shredded cheese.
See what I did there? This easy creamy buffalo chicken soup masterpiece is a result of both favourite appetizers, combined in soup form.
We have a touchdown ladies and gentleman!
This tasty buffalo chicken soup is more than welcome amongst our growing buffalo chicken recipes here at My Organized Chaos.
So cuddle up, and like us, fall in love with this creamy, thick, and flavour-packed soup.
Both satisfying and filling, this recipe will start a new craving during the fall and winter months, and especially on game day.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Soup
You need the following ingredients to make this easy buffalo chicken soup recipe that has a cook time of less than 30 minutes. The full instructions and printable recipe card are below.
- unsalted butter
- diced carrot
- celery, diced
- diced onion
- minced garlic
- all purpose flour
- ranch seasoning packet
- chicken broth
- diced tomatoes
- buffalo sauce, I use Franks Redhot brand of hot sauce
- cream cheese
- cooked and shredded chicken
- shredded cheddar cheese
- optional: green chiles, cooked crumbled bacon, blue cheese
To Make: In a large pot on the stove over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add in the carrot, celery and onion and sauté until soft. Add in the garlic and sauté for another minute.
Reduce to medium heat and add the flour and ranch seasoning. Stir to coat the veggies. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, and buffalo wing sauce. Stir until combined.
Add the cream cheese and over medium-low heat and stir. Continue to stir until the cream cheese has combined and liquid is smooth. The gradual stirring should prevent a curdled look.
Reduce heat to low and stir in the shredded cheese and chicken. Simmer until cheese is melted. Add salt and black pepper if desired, to taste. This recipe has so much flavor, yet this increases even more so with adding toppings.
Toppings and Alternatives
This Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup is a filling and hearty meal on its own that our entire family loves.
It’s got that robust buffalo taste with some heat, yet not too much that my my kids complained of the spice. For those that like a more spicy heat, add more frank’s red hot sauce or chopped green chiles after tasting, or to individual bowls.
Yet you can also add toppings for added taste. I like to garnish with green onions, bacon bits, blue cheese crumbles, blue cheese dressing, or even crispy tortilla strips.
You can also serve with crackers, toasted baguettes or garlic toast.
This soup can be made as a healthy recipe by reducing fat and calories. Make healthy buffalo chicken soup by choosing light cream cheese and light shredded cheese, or swapping sour cream for the cream cheese.
There are so many great options when it comes to what to serve with buffalo chicken.
How to Store:
Keep cheesy buffalo chicken soup leftovers of this hearty soup recipe in an airtight container in the fridge, for up to 4 days. This creamy soup is just as good the next day.
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 packet ranch seasoning
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 796ml can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot on the stove over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add in the carrot, celery and onion and sauté until soft. Add in the garlic and sautés for another minute.
- Reduce to medium heat and add the flour and ranch seasoning. Stir to coat the veggies. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, and buffalo wing sauce. Stir until combined.
- Add the cream cheese and over medium-low heat and stir. Continue to stir until the cream cheese has combined and liquid is smooth.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the shredded cheese and chicken. Simmer until cheese is melted. Taste and see recipe notes for toppings
- For those that like a more heat, add more buffalo sauce or chopped green chiles.
- Toppings: green onions, bacon bits, crumbled blue cheese, crispy tortilla strips
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 1592mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 24g
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes to Try:
- These low carb Buffalo Cauliflower Bites will fill your buffalo chicken obsession.
- Buffalo Chicken Wraps are a great lunch idea and also use up leftover chicken.
What kind of Chicken to use?
I love using shredded rotisserie chicken when I made this delicious soup recipe, or cook boneless skinless chicken breasts (whole chicken breast or even boneless chicken thighs) ahead of time. When you have cooked chicken already on hand, this easy chicken soup recipe takes about 30 minutes to make. So this one is great for those busy weeknight dinners.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.
One sure thing, is that I always look for the Raised by a Canadian Farmer logo when choosing chicken for myself and my family. This logo guarantees you that the chicken is grain-fed, free of added hormones and steroids, and raised right here in Canada according to nationally-set, high food safety and animal care standards.
90% of Canadian chicken farms are family owned and operated, passed down from generation to generation. Creating and maintaining over 78,000 Canadian jobs in various sectors; by supporting chicken Canadian you’ll help to create jobs, support local communities and grow tour Canadian economy.
So next time you are buying your groceries, look for this logo or ask your grocer to assist.
More Cozy Chicken Soup Recipes to Try:
- Creamy Chicken Stew
- Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili