I love the mild lemon taste of these Glazed Lemon Cookies, they aren’t too heavy or rich, yet simple and so delicious- a great classic treat for Springtime and the Easter holiday.
Yet they are so flavourful and moist, they would be like little bites of sunshine all year long!
Glazed Lemon Cookies
Looking for more cookie recipes? May I suggest:
Simply put, I adore this time of year. I embrace the warmer days, the stronger sunlight on my face, and the promise of a new season.
Right now we are surrounded by what I can only describe as a sunrise, that refreshing feeling that comes with spring.
I’m very excited for Easter, and am counting down in every way possible. The windows are open, some much needed spring cleaning is getting done, and I’ve been baking up a storm in the kitchen.
Instead of heavy cakes and sauces which are synonymous with winter, right now I much prefer to make smaller treats with either a light fruity sweetness or zesty tang. A perfect example would be these Strawberry lemonade Cream Cheese Cookies!
I recently made Glazed Lemon Cookies which encompass the spring and Easter season perfectly, right down to the refreshing and sunny pastel colour.
I love the amazing lemon flavor of these cookies, thanks to the zest and the tangy lemon glaze. This is the best cookie recipe for lemon lovers!
It would be tough to decide which you love more, the soft cakey cookie or the delicious lemon glaze.
These delicious cookies aren’t too heavy or rich, yet simple and so delicious- a great classic treat for Springtime and the Easter holiday.
These soft lemon cookies have very much earned their spot as one of our favorite cookies.
Ingredients to Make Glazed Lemon Cookies
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- granulated sugar
- lemon zest from fresh lemons
- unsalted butter, room temperature
- vanilla extract
For the Lemon Glaze
- icing sugar / powdered sugar
- fresh lemon juice
How to Make Glazed Lemon Cookies
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare baking sheets with by lining it with parchment paper, and set aside.
Mix together flour and baking powder in a small bowl, and set aside.
To another bowl, add white sugar and the lemon zest. Rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers, until fragrant.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar/lemon mixture until light and fluffy. Then beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
In small batches, beat the dry ingredients into the othermixture, on low speed until blended. You can use an electric mixer (or hand mixer) with a paddle attachment.
Roll 2″ pieces of dough into a ball with hands and drop onto the cookie sheet, spacing about 2″ apart. Gently flatten dough with the palm of your hand or the bottom of a glass.
These cookies have a bake time of 11-13 minutes or until cookies are just set and the edges slightly golden brown.
Transfer cookies to a cooling rack (or wire rack), to cool completely.
When cookies have fully cooled, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice and water in a small bowl. Drip the lemon glaze onto the cooled cookies or spread a layer onto entire cookie surface.
Let cookies sit until icing has set before enjoying. Dust the top of each cookie with powdered sugar or icing sugar, if desired.
To Store: Place in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap. Cookies are good for 5 days.
Can you use lemon extract instead of juice? In a pinch, you can. Yet I prefer a fresh lemon flavor from fresh lemons or store-bought lemon juice.
Enjoy this lemon cookie recipe!
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Burnbrae Farms Nestlaid Egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 4-5 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix together flour and baking powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add granulated sugar and the lemon zest into another small bowl. Rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers, until fragrant.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar/lemon mixture until light and fluffy. Then beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- In small batches, beat in the flour mixture on low speed until blended.
- Roll 2" pieces of dough into a ball with hands and drop onto the baking sheet, spacing about 2" apart. Gently flatten dough with the palm of your hand or the bottom of a cup.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until cookies are just set and the edges slightly golden brown.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for 2 minutes and transfer to cooking racks to cool completely.
- When cookies have fully cooled, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice and water in a small bowl. Drip the lemon glaze onto the cooled cookies as desired.
- Let cookies sit until icing has set before enjoying.
- dust with powdered sugar
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 24 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Saturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 4mgCarbohydrates: 20gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g