This classic Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy is seasoned tender beef patties simmered in a mushroom and onion grave. Serve this comfort food classic with potatoes or rice.
Yet that’s just a small sampling of all the meals you can make, of course.
Another simple yet oh so satisfying great recipe that we make with ground beef, is Salisbury Steak with gravy.
This Easy Homemade Salisbury Steak Recipe below is one of those vintage classic meals that never go out of style.
This homemade version is such a classic comfort food, and a perfect weeknight dinner. This delicious salisbury steak recipe is tasty, rich in flavour and simple to make.
Salisbury steak with an onion gravy which is also a mushroom gravy is quick to prepare (under an hour!), is inexpensive, and popular with kids and adults alike.
The Best Salisbury Steak Recipe Ever!
It’s a vintage recipe that has been made for generations.
It was once called poor man’s steak, which is a lame attempt to knock down such an obvious classic. There’s a reason why it’s a common card in the recipe box.
For those that don’t care for mushrooms and onions, they can easily be picked out too. I know, we all have those in the family!
My picky eaters wouldn’t touch this meal if it were like tv dinners, yet they loved this simple salisbury steak.
It’s a meal the whole family gobbled up, because it has such rich flavors.
How to Make Salisbury Steak
Here are the ingredients to make this easy salisbury steak recipe. The detailed instructions and printable recipe card are below.
- fresh mushrooms / whole button mushrooms
- clove garlic
- lean ground beef
- panko bread crumbs
- beef broth
- black pepper
- all purpose flour
- worcestershire sauce
- mustard powder
- onion soup mix
Fry the onions, mushrooms, garlic and butter on the stove top over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
At the same time, quickly assemble the meat mixture into ground beef patties (hamburger steak patties).
The ground beef is mixed with bread crumbs, broth, egg and seasonings in a large bowl. Once combined, form the mixture to make round or oval patties.
The rich mushroom gravy is made with a mixture of broth, flour, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard powder.
I also like to throw in a half-packet of onion soup mix for good measure, since I think it contains the perfect blend of seasonings.
Once the patties are cooked and golden brown, the salisbury steak patties are simmered in the gravy mixture as well as the cooked onions and mushrooms.
The end result is the most flavourful and tender beef patties smothered in a tasty rich gravy.
Can you Freeze Salisbury Steak
Since this is such a quick and easy recipe to make, we tend not to freeze this one often. It never lasts that long!
Yet you can freeze the cooked patties in gravy for later use, in an airtight container.
Just defrost the frozen salisbury steaks and simmer in a pan until warmed through.
Yet note: the freezing, thawing and recooking might change the consistency of the gravy. The taste will be the same, but the look might be altered.
What to Serve with Salisbury Steak
This homemade salisbury steak recipe is great with mashed potatoes, because the salisbury steak gravy is tasty when topped onto potatoes.
Looking for more comfort food classics?
- Individual Chicken Pot Pies
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- Easy Pan Seared Lemon Salmon
- Best Meatloaf Recipe Ever – our favourite ground beef recipes of all time.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1.5 cups beef broth, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 packet onion soup mix
- 1/3 cup water
- In a frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter until melted. Add onions and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often to make sure they don't brown. Add in mushrooms and garlic and cook until butter has been absorbed and mushrooms are tender.
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of the broth, egg and pepper. Mix well and form patties.
- In another bowl, combine the rest of the broth, flour, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, onion soup mix and water. Mix well until combined.
- When mushrooms and onions are cooked, remove from the pan and place the patties in. Brown for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Place the mushrooms and onions back into the pan with the patties, and pour the broth gravy mixture over the top. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes or until patties have cooked all the way through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 784mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 25g