This Easy Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie is a hearty comfort food, without all the work of making a homemade pot pie. Simple and delicious, it makes a perfect weeknight meal.
With just 10 minutes of prep, let your slow cooker do all the work for you. When you come home after a busy weekday, there’s a great meal and a classic comfort food waiting for you at dinner time.
This crock pot chicken pot pie recipe has juicy tender chicken, lots of vegetables, a creamy sauce.
What you have is just the pot pie filling topped with fluffy biscuits.
This slow cooker chicken pot pie recipe is the same as a traditional chicken pot pie right down to the creamy filling, but just not encased in a crust.
By serving buttery biscuits as a side with the chicken mixture, you can have more or less of the parts you love best.
As a crust lover, I couldn’t help but notice (and be slightly annoyed) that my kids leave a lot of top crust on their plates when I’ve made a traditional homemade chicken pot pie. What a waste, especially with the time involved when making it from scratch.
I love the convenience of slow cooker meals, throwing everything in the crockpot that morning.
There’s nothing like coming home after a long day to a house that smells amazing, and a delicious meal ready to enjoy.
That, and knowing that my baking powder biscuits are a hit with my entire family. Why not combine both and make slow cooker chicken pot pie with biscuits? Everyone wins with this perfect meal.
This easy dinner, my friends, is a ‘winner winner chicken dinner’.
No Slow Cooker? No Problem!
Classic chicken pot pie is going to get a lot simpler with this easy recipe, which is perfect for a busy weeknight.
Use these simple ingredients, and don’t forget that the printable recipe card is below.
- CHICKEN – I like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts, though you could use chicken thighs or even rotisserie chicken.
- VEGETABLES – I use frozen veggies for this recipe, plus a few fresh veggies. You can substitute or use another combination of them if preferred.
- SAUCE – The sauce consists of canned soups and chicken broth. This allows for the liquid, the thickness and to make it creamy.
- SEASONINGS – I keep it simple with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and fresh parsley. Feel free to add in poultry seasoning if you wish.
Note: Adjust salt as needed, amount can vary if using low-sodium broth or soups.
- Biscuits – For ease, use refrigerated biscuits bought from the grocery store, or make your own easy homemade biscuits.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
With a 10 minute prep time and the convenience of the crockpot, this easy chicken pot pie is a simple recipe to make.
- Add onion, diced potatoes, celery, frozen mixed vegetables, and diced chicken to a slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine together the the cream of chicken soup, cream of celery soup, chicken stock and the seasonings.
- If you use a crock pot liner, do so now. Add the mixture to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for a cooking time of 6-7 hours.
- When it’s time to eat, make your biscuits. Use store bought refrigerated biscuits using the package directions, or make your own homemade biscuits.
- Stir the chicken pot pie, and spoon this perfect comfort food into bowls. Serve with warm biscuits.
Pro tip: Biscuits are the best when fresh. Since they take under 10 minutes to make, plan to make them right before you’re ready to eat.
What to Serve with Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
While this best slow cooker chicken pot pie is a hearty meal in itself, you don’t need much for sides which is great. Yet we love to top ours with homestyle biscuits or crescent rolls.
To make the batch go further, you can serve with a side salad, sliced pickles or more biscuits or garlic bread.
If you have leftovers, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge. It will be good for up to 4 days.
Make sure to store the biscuits separately, or plan to make a new batch of biscuits the next day to use with the leftovers.
I have found our recipe feeds our family of 4, for two meals. This crockpot chicken pot pie is even better the next day as it thickens up more as time goes on.
Can you freeze slow cooker chicken pot pie?
Yes, this crock pot recipe is freezer friendly. After it has been cooked and full cooled, store in an airtight container. You can do this as a whole or freeze individual servings.
It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
How to reheat slow cooker chicken pot pie
Leftovers can be reheated in the slow cooker, or on a pan on the stove.
If using the stovetop, cook on low-medium heat and make sure to stir often to prevent burning. It usually take less than 5 minutes to heat all the way through.
You can also reheat individual servings for 1 to 2 minutes in the microwave. until heated through.
More Comfort Food Recipes
- Turkey Pot Pie – This one-pot recipe is the best use of holiday meal leftovers. It includes roasted turkey, vegetables, a creamy sauce, and flaky crust. It’s a comforting dinner in under an hour.
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup – Another twist on twist on a traditional dish. With ground beef, cabbage, onion and vegetables; all simmered in a rich tomato sauce in your slow cooker.
- Chicken Stuffing Bake – This 45 minute meal has chicken (you can use turkey instead!), stuffing, broccoli and just a few other simple ingredients.
- Slow Cooker Baked Ziti – This best ziti recipe is another easy crockpot recipe that packs all the flavour! With tender noodles coated in a ground beef marinara, and mixed with a melty cheese goodness, it’s the ideal weeknight meal.
- Chicken Alfredo Baked Ziti – This oven recipe has chicken, bacon, pasta and a creamy, cheesy homemade Alfredo sauce.
- This Peri Peri Chicken takes just 40 minutes after the marinating!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts, diced
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 8 baked biscuits, refrigerated or homemade
- Add onion, potatoes, celery, frozen mixed vegetables, and chicken to a slow cooker
- In a small bowl, combine together the the cream of chicken soup, cream of celery soup, broth and seasonings.
- Add the mixture to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- When it's time to eat, make your biscuits. Use store bought refrigerated biscuits or your own homemade biscuits.
- Stir the chicken pot pie and spoon into bowls. Serve with warm biscuits.
- Feel free to use your own preference for vegetables.
- If using any low-sodium products, adjust salt as needed.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 518Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 1216mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 26g
Created by Tammi Roy
Tammi Roy is the founder of My Organized Chaos, a Canadian food and lifestyle blog. She lives in Alberta, Canada and is the mom of three beautiful teenage girls. Tammi’s passions are her family, creating and sharing delicious recipes, travelling and photography. Learn more about Tammi.