These Pesto Chicken Quesadillas are ready in just 10 minutes, and are a delicious leftover chicken recipe using just 5 ingredients. They are perfect for dinner, lunch and for sending for school lunches.
Pesto Chicken Quesadillas
If you are looking for a quick and delicious lunch or dinner, this Pesto Chicken Quesadilla recipe is for you!
We’ve enjoyed this type of quesadilla in our home for years, so it was due time to highlight one of our all-time favourite meals.
Quesadillas are a quick and easy recipe to make, yet this particular blend between two tortillas are such a hit.
For this recipe you need only 5 ingredients: tortillas, pesto, chicken (cubed or shredded), diced peppers and shredded cheese.
Not only is it a simple recipe, yet it’s even faster to make than those famous 30 minute meals.
With schedules starting to fill again, and back to school upon us – an effortless and delicious meal is more than welcome. Don’t you agree?
Whether you need to use up leftovers, or need a dinner on the table STAT, this is a tried and true recipe that checks every box when it comes to a favourite meal.
What to Serve with Chicken Quesadillas
We usually serve these with a side of caesar salad, yet you can also try this tasty Fiesta Mexican Rice too.
You can also send these quesadillas to school, they make a great Non-Sandwich School Lunch Idea. It’s never too early to avoid that school lunch rut, so why not start the year off on a good start with options. Yet don’t forget small side containers of sour cream, salsa and/or guacamole for dipping.
While you can make your own Homemade Pesto, store bought will be just as good. This recipe also allows for variations based on preference.
Not only can you add whichever colour of peppers you have on hand, yet you can also make tasty additions such as green onion and spinach.
Quesadilla Making Tips:
To get that perfect crispy quesadilla, make sure to use non-stick cooking spray in the pan and spray each time you make a new quesadilla.
After 2-3 minutes of cooking, peek at the bottom and see if the tortilla is starting to brown and if it’s stiff and not bending when slightly lifted.
To flip a quesadilla, I like to use a plate that is the same size as the pan I’m cooking in. When it’s time to flip, I remove the pan lid and place a plate flipped over onto the pan.
Lift the pan off the stove and quickly flip all, so the quesadilla is resting on the plate. Voila!
When reheating quesadilla leftovers, using the microwave will make them soggy. It’s best to reheat them in a pan covered with a lid. This way the tortillas stay crispy, and the centre remelts. It’ll take less time than originally cooking it, so be careful not to reheat too much.
When it comes to the chicken used for this recipe, you also have a few options. You can bake boneless skinless chicken breasts ahead of time so that prep time is minimal. Yet oftentimes, we make this with leftover chicken.
More Chicken Recipes to Try:
- Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs
- Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- Baked Hawaiian Chicken
- French Onion Chicken Bake
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- 4 large tortillas
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or chopped
- 4 tsp pesto
- 1 cup peppers, chopped
- 1.5 cups cheese, shredded
- spray a pan with non-stick spray and place on medium heat
- Take one tortilla and spread 2 tsp of the pesto on one side.
- Place tortilla (pesto side up) in the heated pan and sprinkle half of the chicken, peppers and cheese on top. Top with another tortilla.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until bottom tortilla has started to brown and cheese is melting.
- Flip tortilla and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes
- Place cooked quesadilla on plate and cut into sections using a pizza cutter.
- Repeat all steps above to make the second quesadilla.
- - OPTIONAL: serve with salsa, guacamole and/or sour cream for dipping
- - See post on quesadilla flipping tips along with how to get that perfect crispy quesadilla.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 515Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 586mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 31g
Created by Tammi Roy
Tammi Roy is the founder of My Organized Chaos, a Canadian food and lifestyle blog. She lives in Alberta, Canada and is the mom of three beautiful teenage girls. Tammi’s passions are her family, creating and sharing delicious recipes, travelling and photography. Learn more about Tammi.